About Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression
Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM) is an independent non-governmental non-profit organization. We seek to build a society that guarantees freedom of expression and belief, human rights and justice. Our vision is a democratic world based on justice, freedom, equality and respect for human rights and dignity.
Since establishment in 2004, we work to defend oppressed individuals due to their beliefs or opinions, as well as promoting human rights and supporting and developing independent, critical and professional media. SCM is in special consultative status with UN ECOSOC since 2011.
A democratic world based on justice, freedom and equality that respects human dignity and human rights.
To achieve a world that respects human rights and dignity, we base our work on the following values:
Cooperation and collaboration
The JRL seeks to guarantee respect for human rights, combat impunity and enable victims to achieve justice through:
- Enhancement of the culture of justice and accountability, managing their programs and spreading awareness of their importance.
- Strategic litigation for the accountability of grave human rights violations committed in Syria by all parties of the conflict, specifically through studying and implementing the principle of Universal Jurisdiction.
- Investigation, documentation, classification and preservation of evidence of human rights violations for the sake of utilizing it in the accountability efforts and interactions with international mechanisms.
- Seeking to develop its work to deal with violations and prosecution on the basis of legal underpinnings such as those related to children, sexual violence, torture and others.
- Working towards eliminate all forms of discrimination and persecution against the vulnerable and the marginalized groups.
- Supporting legal reform, law-making, policies and legislative frameworks to guarantee basic human rights for everybody in the society.
- Guaranteeing transitional justice process in Syria in line with international standards that ensure the representation, participation, and leadership of victims, women and marginalized Syrian groups in general.
- Building partnerships and corporations within the human rights and justice domains, and eliminating impunity.
- Enabling and training staff and organizations in the justice and human rights fields inside and outside Syria.
The JRL is planning to expand the good use of the principle of universal jurisdiction in European and other non-European countries in the near future.